Gum disease describes swelling, soreness or infection of the tissues supporting the teeth. There are two main forms of gum disease: gingivitis and periodontal disease. Gum disease is inflammation of the gums (gingivae) and damage to the bone that anchors teeth in the jaws. Gum disease is very common, affecting more than half of adults with natural teeth.
Gingivitis is mild gum disease that affects only the gums, the tissue that surrounds the teeth. Periodontitis is gum disease that gets worse and spreads below the gums to damage the tissues and bone that support the teeth.
Causes of Gum Disease:
All gum disease is caused by plaque. Plaque is a film of bacteria which forms on the surface of the teeth and gums every day. Many of the bacteria in plaque are completely harmless, but there are some that have been shown to be the main cause of gum disease.
* Gums that are red, puffy or swollen, or tender.
* Teeth that look longer because your gums have receded.
* Gums that have separated, or pulled away, from your teeth, creating a pocket.
* Pus coming from between your teeth and gums.
* Constant bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth.
Gum Disease Remedies:
* The best gum disease remedy is to take adequate time (at least 4-5 minutes) to brush and floss your teeth at least 2-3 times daily. Also don’t forget to rinse your mouth with plain water after eating tiny piece of any food.
* Vitamin C, This vitamin when consumed in the form of oranges, sweet limes, lime juice, guava or amla is considered one of the best home remedies for gum disease.
* Massage your gums and teeth with essential oils like clove oil, eucalyptus oil or peppermint oil. Do this twice a day and make sure you do not rinse off the oil.
* Gargling your mouth with salt solution will also help cure gum disease.
* Prepare an antibacterial mouthwash by 3% hydrogen peroxide solution with half a glass of water. Use this to rinse your mouth twice daily as a periodontal gum disease cure.
* Just 15ml of drakshadi decotion with 60ml of luke warm water twice a day before a meal will arrest gum bleeding.
* Reduce sugar intake. This includes both snacks and drinks that are high in sugar. If you do consume foods that contain sugar, ideally, brush your teeth right away.
* A mouthwash made from a combination of chamomile, echinacea and myrrh has been successfully used for treating gingivitis.
* A couple of drops of olive leaf extract or tea tree oil on your toothbrush can arrest infection and kill the bacteria in the mouth.
* Aloe vera can be applied directly to inflamed gums and used to soothe the tissues in the mouth.