There are two main types of alopecia. Alopecia areata occurs when the body' s immune system attacks hair follicles and causes hair to fall out. Androgenetic alopecia, on the other hand, is an inherited form of hair loss. With alopecia areata, hair can fall out in patches all over the body. With androgenetic alopecia, hair on the head thins and falls out.
The primary symptom of alopecia areata is roundish patches of hair loss on the head, with smooth, hairless scalp in the affected areas. Alopecia totalis involves the complete loss of all scalp hair, and alopecia universalis is characterized by the complete loss of all scalp and body hair.
Causes of Alopecia:
There are many different potential causes of alopecia. Hair loss temporary or permanent can be triggered by any number of factors. These can include allergies, irritants, toxins, burns, injuries, and infections. We also know that certain medications (especially anabolic steroids), chronic kidney failure, radiation, and chemotherapy can cause hair to fall out. Sometimes, hair loss may be due to a vitamin A overdose, iron deficiency anemia, a malfunctioning thyroid gland, fever, or pregnancy.
* Mix a tsp. each of salt and black pepper powder with 5 tsp. of coconut oil and apply it to the bald patches. It will restore the growth of hair.
* In a deep pot soak few fenugreek seeds overnight, strain it and massage your scalp with the water. Follow this effective natural remedy for alopecia daily for at least 1 month.
* Onion juice should be rubbed into such bald patches regularly for some time. It will help the hair to grow again.
* Gently massage your scalp with egg yolk and allow it to stand for an hour and wash it with mild shampoo.
* Application of neem oil regularly for two three months at the bald spots helps the hair to grow again.
* Scalp massage with a mixture of essential oils like rosemary, thyme, cedarwood and lavender in carrier oil like jojoba or grapeseed treats alopecia effectively.
* Eating garlic is beneficial for hair growth.
* Take two tablespoons of honey mixed with one tablespoon of cinnamon and three tablespoons of olive oil. Apply the paste over the hairless scalp. Allow it to remain for twenty minutes before washing it away.