Head lice are parasitic insects found most commonly behind the ears and near the neckline at the back of the neck. The medical term for head lice infestation is Pediculus humanus capitis. Although head lice may be embarrassing and sometimes uncomfortable, they don't usually cause illness. However, they won't clear up on their own and you need to treat them promptly.
Head lice get their nourishment by sucking small amounts of blood from humans. Their favorite feeding area is the scalp, behind the ears, and at the nape of the neck.
Head lice can't fly or jump, and they're not transmitted by pets. They spread by head to head contact or via contact with contaminated personal belongings or home furnishings.
* Head to head contact
* Sharing personal items Caps, hats, scarves, Brushes, combs, Headphones.
* Home furnishings Towels, Clothing, Blankets, Pillows.
Signs and symptoms of lice include:
* Intense itching.
* Tickling feeling from movement of hair.
* Lice on your scalp, body, clothing, or pubic or other body hair. Adult lice may be about the size of a sesame seed or slightly larger.
* Nits on hair shafts.
* Small, red bumps on the scalp, neck and shoulders.
Natural Prevention of Head Lice:
* Wash all clothing worn in hot water.
* Live head lice can be vacuumed off from sofas, carpets etc.
* Brushes and combs should be soaked in hot water or alcohol for 15 minutes.
* Try to avoid sweet foods; it is believed in Ayurveda that lice are attracted by the blood having more glucose.
* Short hair and regular vigorous brushing are a good idea to prevent re infestation.
Natural Lice Remedies | Treating Lice:
* Wash your hair with a normal natural shampoo or with a soap and blow dry with hot air.
* Wash your hairs with vinegar. It kills all the nits in two days. You can also apply coconut oil on your head after shampooing and conditioning.
* Prepare another natural remedy for head lice using shareefa seeds. Grind it and use the powder on the scalp as long as you get relief from the lice.
* You can add 10-15 drops of tea tree oil into shampoo bottle and then use it for hair wash. This is also one of the best home remedies for head lice.
* Usage of shaving cream is also useful to kill these lice and their eggs. Apply a thick coat of shaving cream, rub it and keep it for about 15 to 20 min.
* Mix lemon juice with fine garlic paste, massage your head using this mixture in the night and wash your hair in the morning.
* Take some coconut oil, drop few leaves of neem and keep it aside in a glass bottle. Use the oil regularly till it kills all the lice.
* Application of castor oil also helps to prevent the growth of the lice.
* Cut apple into slices and strongly massage your scalp using the slices for 25 to 30 minutes, continue doing this massage for 3 days till you eliminate lies completely from your hair.
* You can also massage your head with mayonnaise oil and comb it after two hours.
* In a bottle of regular shower gel, remove the lid and add three tablespoons of salt. Saturate the hair and scalp with the mixture and leave on for ½ hour. Wash out the hair like normal.