Hemorrhoid is swollen and inflamed veins around the anus or in the lower rectum. The rectum is the last part of the large intestine leading to the anus. The anus is the opening at the end of the digestive tract where bowel contents leave the body.
Hemorrhoids are itching, painful, or bleeding masses of swollen tissues and varicose veins, Fortunately, hemorrhoid can be treated easily, and may be prevented in many cases. Although most people think hemorrhoid is abnormal, they are present in everyone. It is only when the hemorrhoidal cushions enlarge that hemorrhoid can cause problems and be considered abnormal or a disease.
Symptoms of hemorrhoid include:
• Anal itching
• Bleeding during bowel movements (often bright red on the paper or on the outside of the stool)
• Protrusion during bowel movements
• Sensitive lumps around the anus
A common cause of hemorrhoid is simply the standing position, in which all the blood above the rectum exerts pressure on the rectal and anal areas. Other conditions which contribute to hemorrhoids are: poor bowel habits, constipation, diarrhea, pregnancy, obesity, and especially frequent straining when having a bowel movement. However, some patients will have none of these conditions and still develop hemorrhoid.
Hemorrhoid Remedies | Hemorrhoid Treatment Options:
* Soak your anal area in plain warm water 10 to 15 minutes two to three times a day.
* Drinking chamomile tea several times a day.
* Bath or shower daily to clean the skin around your anus gently with warm water. Soap isn't necessary and may aggravate the problem. Gently dry the area with a hair dryer after bathing.
* Prune juice is also good during pregnancy to help reduce hemorrhoids.
* Buttermilk can also be used to prepare another effective remedy. Just add some peppercorns, rock salt, and ginger. Drink this at least twice a day for some quick relief.
* Avoid excessive sex especially that which involves the anus.
* Apply ice packs or cold compresses on your anus to relieve swelling.
* Eat a lot of fresh fruits as they are a natural source of fiber, but avoid refined, processed, and fast foods.
* Papaya is also very useful as it helps in easy digestion of foods.
* Taking herbs and dietary supplements to strengthen vein walls.
* Eating fiber rich bulking agents like plantain to help create soft stool and to lessen irritation of existing hemorrhoid.