Cracked Heels are very common. They can be painful, unattractive, and very upsetting especially to those of us who love sandals. Usually, cracked skin on our heels and feet is caused by excessively dry skin. For many it's worse in the winter months or for those who live in dry climates. But going barefoot and wearing shoes with open backs can exaserbate the problem, meaning that even in the summer our feet are in rough shape.
Symptoms of cracked heels:
If the cracks are bad enough there will be pain on weight bearing, that is not there when weight is off the heel. The edges or rim around the heel will generally have a thicker area of skin (callus). Wearing open or thin soled shoes usually make the symptoms worse.
Causes Cracked Heels:
* Dry skin.
* Prolonged standing.
* Wearing shoes with an open back.
* Heel Spurs.
* Flat feet.
* Improperly fitting shoes.
* Athlete’s foot.
* Thyroid disease.
Home Remedies For Dry Cracked Heels:
1. Mix papaya and lemon juice, apply on the affected area and wash off after 20 minutes.
2. Coat your feet in raw honey and cover with thick socks before going to bed at night. This not only softens your feet, but helps heal fissures as well.
3. First think to do is drink lots of water to keep the skin hydrate. It will keep your skin soft and supple and skin will not get as dry to get cuts and cracks.
4. Always wash your feet properly whenever you come from outside. Sleep after washing your feet.
5. Rubbing pumic stone too is helpful in clearing the dead dull skin.
6. Never wear shoes in wet legs and never wear wet soaks.
7. Walk on the grass barefoot early morning. It rejuvenates the feet and improves the eyesight.
8. Daily apply a mixture of rosewater and glycerin. It soothes your heels and cures them fast.
9. Apply the pulp of a ripe banana on the affected area, leave it for 10 to 15 minutes and wash it properly. It helps in fast healing.
10. You can also crush an onion apply the pulp over the cracked area and bandage it.