Cholesterol, a yellowish fatty substance, is one of the essential ingredients of the body. Although it is essential to life, it has a bad reputation, being a major villain in heart disease. Every person with high blood cholesterol is regarded as a potential candidate for heart attack or a stroke. Most of the cholesterol found in the body is produced in the liver. However, about twenty to thirty per cent generally comes from the food we eat. Cholesterol is measured in milligrams per 100 millimetres of blood. The normal level of cholesterol varies between 150 - 200 mg per 100 ml. In blood, cholesterol occurs in combination with certain lipids (fats), hence, known as lipoptroteins.
Causes & Symptoms of High Cholesterol:
The most common symptoms of high blood cholesterol are general fatigue, excess sweating and feel of uneasiness, pain and heaviness in chest area and breathlessness. Excessive smoking and alcohol consumption, eating high fat diet, obesity and heredity factors are some of the causes for high cholesterol. However, high cholesterol can be controlled at home using certain home remedies. Learn more on how to treat high cholesterol naturally.
Home Remedies for High Cholesterol:
Following are some of the effective home remedies for high blood cholesterol.
* Add one teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of lime juice in one cup of hot water. Take it daily in morning for natural lowering cholesterol.
* The best home remedy to cure a person with high cholesterol is to have at least 8-10 glasses of water per day.
* Take foods rich in Vitamin E like sunflower seeds, safflower, soyabean oils, butter, and sprouted seed and grains.
* Alternatively, a person who has problems of high cholesterol can also have 2-3 cloves of garlic per day.
* Boil two tablespoons of dry seeds of coriander in a glass of water and strain the decoction after cooling.Take this decoction twice a day for lowering cholesterol.
* Mix 10-12 tablespoons of apple juice and 5-6 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Intake this mixture once a day.
* Take onion juice to reduce cholesterol, clean the blood, and regulate the heart.
* Regular exercising is very necessary to keep the cholesterol levels under control.
* Add a teaspoon of methi powder in a glass of water. Take it empty stomach for one month.
* Consume lots of almonds and walnuts. These are helpful in reducing the cholesterol levels.
* Persons suffering from high cholesterol should have foods rich in fiber such as raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, broccoli, green beans, etc.
* Having fenugreek seeds and sprouts helps to reduce the high cholesterol levels.