If you have oily skin, you may feel as though you're forever fighting a losing battle to remove the shine from your chin and forehead. You can probably thank your genes for the sheen. Overly oily skin is a problem that is often handed down through generations within a family.
Changes in hormone levels, such as those that occur during the teen years and early 20s, can cause skin to become oily and trigger outbreaks of acne. But it's not just a problem for teenagers and young adults. Many women notice oily skin problems around the time of their menstrual periods, during pregnancy, or at menopause. Some types of birth control pills can also increase
There's one more player in the blame game.Blame oily skin on men, or more specifically, the male hormone androgen that controls oil production in the skin. While it sounds odd, even women's bodies (the ovaries and the adrenal glands) produce male hormones. Many women notice that their skin feels oilier around their menstrual cycle and during menopause. This is due to the fluctuating levels of androgen.
Causes of Oily Skin:
Birth control pills
Cosmetics you use
Humidity and hot weather
Because of the hormonal shifts of adolescence, oily skin is common in teenagers, but it can occur at any age. In general, skin tends to become dryer with age. The flow of sebum or oil increases during adolescence and starts decreasing with age. During pregnancy and menopause, hormonal imbalances can also upset the oil balance and increase the activity of sebaceous glands.
Treatments Oily Skin:
* Crab apple Make a paste. Apply all over the face and neck. Leave for 20 minutes. Wash with lukewarm water. It is a rich source of alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) which tone, soften and moisturize dull oily skin.
* Sandalwood powder- Add a few drops of water to half a tablespoon of the powder. Apply the paste all over the face, neck (in upward and outward direction) and hands. Avoid eye area. Let dry. Wash with tepid water. This reduces wrinkles and fine lines while fighting acne and blemishes.
* Lemon juice, flour, turmeric powder- Make a paste. (Use all purpose flour) Plain yogurt can be used in place of lemon juice. Apply all over the face except the eye area. Let dry. Rinse. The acids in the lemon juice treat dark spots on the face clearing the complexion. Turmeric brightens the look. (Lemon juice might cause a tingling sensation). Feel the fresh and oil free skin afterwards.
* Wheat germ oil Massage your face with the oil. Leave it on for 1 hour before washing with tepid water. Natural vitamin E, a powerful anti oxidant, in this oil prevents skin damage caused by UV rays and environmental pollution. It is great for softening the skin.
* Milk It is particularly necessary for individuals with oily skin to keep their skin clear otherwise it has a tendency to form acne lesions making the skin patchy, discolored and rough. Presence of oil makes the skin sticky thus attracting dirt from the environment clogging the pores. Clogged pores mean increased oil secretion.
* Rice powder and corn flour. It is absolutely necessary to exfoliate with a gentle scrub about 3-4 times per week to balance the skin’s moisture. Rice powder is an excellent natural exfoliating agent. It gives the over-stressed oily skin a new vitality and a healthy radiance.
* Potato and cucumber slices. Close your eyes and put 2 slices on top of the eyelids. The natural juices remove dark circles around the eyes.
* Almond meal and lemon rind- Make a facial scrub with 2 tablespoon almond meal, 1 tablespoon ground lemon rind and 3-4 tablespoon milk. Gently scrub your face and get rid of the excess oil.
* Rose petals, chamomile and geranium oils. Throw some rose petals in your tub and add 3-4 drops of chamomile oil and 1 drop of geranium oil. Soak your body in the sweet aroma. The chemicals in the petals and the oils act as a classic toner for oily skin.
* Multani mitti or fuller’s earth. Take 1 tablespoon mitti. (Found in Indian grocery stores). Make a paste with 3 tablespoon water and a pinch of turmeric powder. Apply to face and neck. Let dry. Wash face after about 20-30 minutes. This is a unique anti wrinkle pack containing valuable herbs and skin rejuvenating ingredients to give you an oil free, smooth and clear skin.
Oil production decreases with age. With age, skin starts to wrinkle. Then it becomes necessary to supply the skin with oils or moisture from outside especially during winter to fight wrinkles and check ageing. Oily skin generally ages slowly. So, don’t be upset if you have oily skin. Who knows, today’s curse can become tomorrow’s blessing.