The largest and most complicated joint, the knee is used for everything from standing up, sitting, to walking, running, etc. It's a weight bearing joint that straightens, bends, twists and rotates. All this motion increases your risk of acute or overuse knee injuries.
Causes of Knee Pain:
Causes of knee pain can be very varied and numerous. Injuries, arthritis, bursitis, gout, pica, Baker's Cysts, tendonitis, and other conditions are all causes of knee pain.
Symptoms of Knee Pain:
Individuals with minor knee pain, clicking, giving way or a "trick knee" usually are experiencing the earliest symptoms of arthritis. Osteoarthritis can begin in those as young as thirty, and may progress for many years before symptoms appear. In advanced stages, the condition may lead to either a "bowlegged" or "knock-kneed" appearance.
Home Remedies for Knee Pain:
* Oil massages have traditionally been hailed as the ideal treatment for aches and pains. Take half a cup of oil, you can use coconut or olive oil, warm it up slightly and massage it onto the affected knee.
* The R.I.C.E treatment is highly recommended when knee trouble flares up. This program of resting the knee, applying ice, compression and keeping the leg elevated and burden free, helps ease the pressure on the knee.
* Ginger is also one of the best methods in the treatment of joint pains. It must be included freely in the daily diet of the person. Tea made with ginger in it is also beneficial.
* Massage the joints with a mixture of camphor, eucalyptus oil and menthol before going to bed.
* Have a glass of carrot juice early in the morning. Continue this till you find reduction in the pains, which should happen within a week.
* Have a bath with warm water every morning. This facilitates proper blood circulation.
* Nutritional supplements like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate, niacinamide (vitamin B3), S-adenosyl-methionine (SAMe), and vitamin E may also be useful in treating knee pain due to osteoarthritis.
* Make hot paste from seeds of Black phaseolus, leaves of Rasna, Sandal, Castor and Country mallow to be applied on the affected joint.
* You can also make a warm paste by using wheat, castor and turmeric mixed in goat's milk or ghee (a type of clarified butter) on the affected area.