Fever is a frequent medical sign that describes an increase in internal body temperature to levels above normal. Fever is most accurately characterized as a temporary elevation in the body's thermoregulatory set point, usually by about 1–2 °C (1.8-3.6 °F).Fever is the temporary increase in the body's temperature, in response to some disease or illness.
Fever is an important part of the body's defense against infection. Many infants and children develop high fevers with minor viral illnesses. While a fever signals to us that a battle might be going on in the body, the fever is fighting for the person, not against.
High fevers, with temperatures of 103° and above, can signal a potentially dangerous infection. Contact your doctor in case of a high fever or if a lower fever doesn't resolve with simple treatments.
Symptoms of a Fever:
There are different symptoms of a fever. The symptoms of a fever depends on what is causing it. Sometimes a fever can cause a chill. A chill occurs because when the brain raises the body's "thermostat," the body responds by shivering to raise the temperature. Shivering produces heat in the body. Once the temperature goes up, the person often feels warm. When the fever goes away, the person may start to sweat.
Causes of Fever:
Your normal body temperature varies throughout the day according to circadian rhythm. it's lower in the morning and higher in the late afternoon and evening. In fact, your normal temperature can range from about 97 F (36.1 C) to 99 F (37.2 C). Although most people consider 98.6 F (37 C) normal, your temperature may vary by a degree or more. Other factors, such as your menstrual cycle or heavy exercise, can affect your temperature.
Home remedies for Fever:
* Drink as much water as you can in order to replace fluid loss. It will also help to bring down body temperature.
* Rub your body with apple cider vinegar. After rubbing it wear warm cloth and get into a warm bed
* Rest as much as possible.
* Make a cup of tea, add a few drops of rum or cognac and drink it.
* Avoid eating solid foods until the fever is gone. You can replace the foods by drinking plenty of distilled water and/or juices.
* Tie potato slices on the forehead.
* Take cool bathes, fill a bath tub, submerge and lay down for 5' approximately. Repeat as needed until the fever is down.
* Boil 1 cup of water, add 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds, cook for 5 minutes, cool and drink to reduce the fever.
* If the fever does not exceed 102 degrees let it run its course. It helps the body to fight infection and eliminate toxins.
* Pour a cup of boiling water into a cup with grind/ cut horseradish root, wait 5 minutes and drink. Repeat 3 times a day.